Central Press Briefing
Background for Media visiting “The Complex” on 07/04/09
Full details and any questions will be dealt with during visit.
The conceptual idea for a specialist sport and occupation assessment centre arose from interdepartmental consideration of future needs within England and Wales.
Jointly funded by specified R+D grants from Work and Pensions, Culture, Education and Science, Defence and Defra, “The Project” has been approved to study;
- The health and special ability of potential international level sporting competitors in single participant activity such as athletics, tennis and golf; to identify the best and enrol them in the relevant National Training Academy or personal programme.
- Similarly for young adults wishing to enlist in the armed services; to identify at an early stage the best route for their career.
- Individuals who have not gained any employment for at least 3 years after leaving compulsory state education; to define any needs for rehabilitation to enhance their employment potential.
Based at “The Complex” in North Cheshire, a multi-disciplinary staff will offer a four-day, wide-ranging physical and psychological screening procedure which has been shown, in preliminary studies, to have good predictive ability. Each individual participant will receive a detailed report to assist their career planning.
When fully operational, “The Complex” will offer a maximum of 12 residential places each week to young adults aged 16 to 21 years old. Housed in a former Georgian country house, attendees will share twin bedrooms and communal meal facilities, under the supervision of a resident house-mother. The specialist assessments will be undertaken by resident sport and health staff, with visiting expertise available as required.
Places will be offered to applicants based on merit and recommendation and will be free-of-cost to all who are offered the opportunity to attend this unique facility.
Relevant staff will be available to answer questions during your visit which will be escorted by the acting-director of “The Complex”, Dr Davies. No students will be in residence.
We look forward to welcoming you to “The Project”.
Spec Op Dir, 01/04/2009; email memo
FAO Operation PsyCoChemManip
- Rural facilities at The Complex have been completed.
- First tranche of subjects have been selected to arrive 13/04/2009 pm to commence selection the next day.
- Current option is for full activity by end of April 2009.
- Precise constitution of study mixture will be notified on “need to know; list alpha” basis only.
- All personnel are be meticulous in maintaining security Code OCHRE.
- Selected media briefing to go ahead 06/04/09, as per attached press briefing.
Need to know; list alpha
Wed, 01/04/09, 1406h
Combination to be used for all courses until further notice; Cannabinoid code IC 36.
Acknowledge receipt for records.